After graduating from Duke University with Master’s Degrees in Political Science and Health Administration at age 24, I began my career at Colorado Mountain College. I was put in charge of Senior Citizen programs and was promoted to serve as the Director of the Western Colorado Rural Communities Program. That program led communities through the boom and bust cycles of energy development on the Western Slope in the early 1980s, and provided a new chance for prosperity to many families. I also developed the first Office of Institutional Research at CMC, conducting market research for the college, evaluating programs, and creating a student tracking and assessment system.
I started my own business in 1994, called Black Diamond Research, assisting businesses, non-profits and governmental agencies with strategic planning and facilitation. In 1997, my husband and I launched Brush Creek Electric, Inc., a small electrical contracting business that has served families and businesses throughout the Eagle River Valley ever since. My passion for volunteering lead me to get involved with organizations including United Way, Habitat for Humanity, KUNC, 4-H, Doctors Plus, and the County Fair and Rodeo.
These experiences allowed me to walk in shoes of many business owners, families, non-profits, and community organizations in Eagle County for the past two decades. The skills I learned, from balancing a budget to forecasting the future, and cutting waste to finding creative solutions, have proven critical in managing our complex public budget and in ensuring accountability.
During this time our family, which now included two small children, moved back to my hometown of Eagle. We purchased my parents’ home, a historical building that came to Eagle from Pando near Camp Hale, and dove into community and school life.
It was a natural progression from community service and strategic planning to apply for the post of Eagle County Commissioner. Since 2013 I have had the honor of serving in this post after being appointed from 14 other applicants to fill a vacancy. I ran for election in 2014, and am running in 2016 for a four year term. Our children graduated from Eagle County Schools, went on to college and then jobs, and my 90-year-old mom moved back to Eagle too.
I have served as your District 2 Commissioner since 2013. As a County Commissioner I am responsible for overseeing the County budget of approximately $100 million, providing public health and safety, human services, transportation, environmental health, public infrastructure, and land use. Although your three commissioners are jointly responsible for all areas of policy making, I have developed particular expertise in water issues, public safety, broadband, economic analysis and economic development, open space, senior citizen issues, and housing.
The decisions we make about economic development, housing, healthcare, land use and water planning, and strategic investment have impacts not only for Eagle County today but far into the future. Though Commissioners can set their own hours, and many have worked part-time in the past, I consider this service to be a full-time position, and believe that it is my job to drive citizen feedback and ideas to the top of the County’s agenda.
I am honored to have earned your support and been able to work alongside so many Eagle County citizens in tackling the challenges we face.
Current Leadership Positions
- Eagle County Representative to the Vail Valley Economic Advisory Council
- Eagle County Representative to the Northwest Colorado Council, Economic Development District Board of Directors
- Statewide Appointment to the FirstNet Governing Board (public safety broadband)
- Eagle County Representative to the Colorado River Basin Roundtable
- Founding Member of United Way to Eagle and Garfield Counties, Board Chair
- Volunteer for World Cup Downhill since 1999
- Habitat for Humanity Board Member
- Eagle County Fair and Rodeo Advisory Council
- Castle Peak Senior Care Center Community Advisory Council
- KUNC Citizens' Advisory Team Member
- Eagle County Representative to the Northwest Colorado Council of Governments Water Quality and Quantity Committee
- Doctors Plus and School-Based Health Center, Board Member
- Central Rockies Leadership, Charter Member and Alumni Board Member